Chef Victor Hugo
's mission is simple: bring traditional Mexican cuisine using fresh Alberta ingredients to the people of Edmonton. If you've been lucky enough to see chef Victor in a food demonstration, you know this charismatic chef is eager to share the flavours from his native country. He has proudly shared his passion for Alberta pork in his recipes as a repeat presenter on the Taste Alberta food stage at Porkapalooza, and while sharing his taco making secrets at Get Cooking
. Chef Victor Hugo has added a bit more Canadian flavour to his recipe for Maple & Orange Carnitas, which he says serves six:
What you’ll need…
kg Pork shoulder
1 orange, sliced
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 L cold water
8 garlic cloves
1 white onion
2 Tbsp salt
1/2 Tbsp black pepper
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 cup cilantro leafs
4 limes, cut into quarters
250 g Cheddar cheese, grated
18 corn tortillas
For the Carnitas
For the Salsa Verde
- Cut the pork shoulder in four parts place into an oven-safe pot or roasting pan.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients for a minute add use to marinate the meat. Cover with aluminum foil or a lid, and place in in the oven at 300 °f for 3 hours.
- Remove the pan use shred the pork – it should be fork tender and pull apart easily. Add a little of the juices left in the roasting pan or pot to the pork mixture, reserving any leftover juices.
- Add two cups of water to a medium pot and put on the stove over high heat until boiling.
- Add the tomatillos and jalapeño pepper and cook for 5 minutes. remove from the water and add them to a blender with the other ingredients grind for one minute.
Grind the cilantro leaves in 1/2 cup of the meat juice (part 1 carnitas) with the coriander leaves, until you get a thick mixture
Heat in a skillet over high heat and heat each tortilla for 30 seconds per side.
In a skillet fryn pan (non stick) medium high heat add the chesse (12gr aprox) and the tortilla on top, cook for 45 seconds,and remove with the help of a spatula.
Make the tacos and put the chopped onion and the cilantro mix on top, and side salsa verde, enjoy.