Recipe: Sausage & Tomato-Poached Eggs on Polenta
When I was flipping through my mom’s copy of the new Atco Blue Flame Kitchen 2014 Holiday Collection Cookbook, I was immediately taken with their tomato-poached eggs on polenta because it reminded me of a dish I fell in love with on my travels through Israel – Shakshouka.
While the dish of poached eggs in tomato sauce was always kosher-friendly on my travels, I decided to bring some Alberta Pork flavour to the Atco Blue Flame Kitchen version in the new holiday collection cookbook. I used Irving Farms sage and onion sausage meat and Blue Kettle tomato basil pasta sauce, which made this dish a hearty and savoury meal for a Saturday morning brunch.
Sausage & Tomato – Poached Eggs on Polenta
Recipe adapted from Atco Blue Flame Kitchen 2014 Holiday Collection Cookbook
4 cups no-salt added chicken broth
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp chopped fresh, or dried thyme
1 tbsp chopped shallot
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup cornmeal
250 g of ground, seasoned sausage meat (Irving Farms sage & onion sausage meat works great)
2 cups tomato sauce
4 large eggs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. To prepare polenta, combine broth, oil, thyme, shallot, garlic and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Gradually whisk in cornmeal; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and set aside.
3. In a large frying pan, cook sausage meat over medium heat until meat is browned.
4. Add tomato sauce, bring to a simmer over medium heat.
5. Working with one egg at a time, crack each egg into a custard cup and carefully pour egg into simmering tomato sauce, spacing eggs evenly apart.
6. Cover pan and poach eggs until they are set.
7. To serve, place polenta on each of four individual serving plates. Top each serving with one poached egg and tomato/sausage sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese end enjoy.