Recipe: Pulled Pork Tortilla Soup
Earlier this month, Dan suggested 6 ways to use braised pork. One of them is in soup, and that’s exactly what I did recently with this recipe for pulled pork tortilla soup. Chips are definitely my favourite treat, and I definitely welcome being able to include them in a meal 😉 For a healthier option, brush a whole grain tortilla with a little bit of olive oil, then cut into short, thin strips. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 425˚F until crisp, about 8-10 minutes.
With some leftover pulled pork on hand, this recipe is easy and quick to put together for a weeknight meal. Feel free to customize with anything you have in the fridge; beyond the base of canned tomatoes, green chilies and spices, try adding in chopped peppers, corn or canned black beans – yummy! If using additional ingredients, you may need additional chicken broth or water.
What You’ll Need
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) cumin
- 1 can (28 fl oz or 796 mL) diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1 can (4 fl oz or 127 mL) green chiles, including juice
- ½ cup (125 mL) chicken broth (or the liquid saved from your braised pork, if you have it)
- 1 lb (454 g) leftover braised pulled pork (try one of the recipes from our archives)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ cup (125 mL) queso fresco, shredded (try Fresk-o cheese, which is made in Alberta!)
- 1 avocado, diced and tossed with lime juice to prevent browning
- 50 g tortilla chips, crushed
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a pot. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring, until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook, stirring, until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, chiles and chicken broth. Bring the soup to a boil and lower heat. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
Stir in pulled pork and continue simmering soup until the pulled pork has been warmed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm, topped with queso fresco, diced avocado, crushed tortilla chips, cilantro and a lime wedge.