Recipe: Peanut Butter & Bacon Cereal Treats
If your Halloween from days gone by were filled with homemade treats, rather than boxes of individualized candy, you may want to whip up this bacon-packed version of a rice cereal treat in time for a trick-or-treat down memory lane. In addition to the nostalgia of homemade Halloween treats, this simple recipe for peanut butter and bacon cereal squares incorporates some kitchen recycling with the use of rendered bacon fat.
What you’ll need…
- 4 slices of bacon
- 3 tbsp bacon fat, strained
- 1 cup peanut butter chip
- 40 large marshmallows or 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups rice cereal
1. In a medium pan, fry bacon until just crispy. Remove bacon and place on kitchen paper; allow to cool and then crumble or dice into small pieces. Strain the leftover bacon fat and reserve until next step.
2. In large saucepan, melt peanut butter chips with bacon fat over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted and mixture is uniform in colour. Remove from heat. Add cereal. and stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wooden spoon, press mixture into 9 x 9 inch pan coated with butter, cooking spray, or additional leftover bacon fat. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Cereal treats are best enjoyedthe same day.