Recipe: Chef Cowan’s Bacon Cornbread
Chef Andrew Cowan of Hundred Bar & Kitchen shared this savoury treat with Alberta Pork’s Passion for Pork session guests at the second package for Christmas in November at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. Unfortunately I missed this session; however, Chef Cowan made this recipe super simple and I easily recreated it using gluten free flour at home. Bake and serve in a cast-iron pan for a more rustic presentation.
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/4 cup cold pressed canola
3 large eggs
1 egg yolks
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
6oz aged cheddar
- Cut Bacon up into small 1” strips, Sautee in a pan until just crisp, remove the bacon and set aside; reserve bacon fat.
- Combine Cornmeal, Flour, Baking Soda, Kosher Salt in bowl and mix.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Stir in bacon and cheese.
- Place mixture into a butter lined bread pan or large cast iron skillet.
- Bake in the oven at 350 F for 20-30 mins.
- Serve with warm butter or left over bacon fat.