Recipe: Chef Brochu’s Porchetta with Black Pepper Relish
MILKCRATE PORCHETTA with RED PEPPER RELISH
Chef Steve Brochu has shared his passion for Alberta Pork with us on several occasions, and at the Taste Alberta food stage at this year’s Porkapalooza BBQ Festival, he handed out tips on tricks on how to season and roll a slab of pork belly into beautiful porchetta. Chef Brochu sliced and served his porchetta on the food stage with a sweet and sour black pepper relish and locally baked fresh bread, but the base porchetta recipe can be topped with your favourite homemade jam, jelly, mustard or relish.
Chef Brochu, who recently opened MilkCrate coffee and sandwich shop in EPCOR tower, serves MilkCrates’s signature porchetta sandwich weekdays along with several rotating daily features. Pop in weekdays for a taste of the original:
MilkCrate – EPCOR TOWER
10423 101 Street NW, EDMONTON AB
MONDAY – FRIDAY 6:30AM – 4:30 PM
What you’ll need…
- Combine everything but salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Season the inside for the pork belly with Salt and Pepper. Spread the rub all over the inside of belly.
- Roll the belly tightly on itself , and using butchers twine, tie off the belly so it looks like a tightly wrapped log or sleeping bag.
- Place Porchetta in 250F oven for 8 hours or until the skin is golden and breaks apart easily.
- Slice and pile on top of a fresh crusty roll and accent with red pepper relish. Enjoy.
MILKCRATE RED PEPPER RELISH
What you’ll need…
- In a pan over medium-high heat, get oil hot but not smoking. Sauté garlic, ginger, onion until they are golden.
- Add pepper and mix until you can smell pepper.
- Pour in the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10 min or until it is thick enough to cover the back of a spoon.
- Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a blender, and blend till smooth in texture. Once completely cool, store in a jar and refrigerate until use.