Recipe: Breakfast Nachos with Bacon
Who doesn’t love nachos? This hearty and nutritious dish is sure to be enjoyed with family or friends. And well, it’s just perfect any mealtime!
Sweet potatoes are loaded with antioxidants and quite high in Beta Carotene. (a precursor to Vitamin A) They are also prized for being low on the glycemic index meaning they help to slow the release of glucose in the blood. So for anyone wanting to get healthier this year, you should consider adding this delicious root veggie to your meal plan.
What You Need
1-2 Large sweet potatoes
1 Large onion
1 sweet bell pepper
1/2 package of Alberta pork bacon
2 farm fresh eggs (or more if desired)
1 cup eggs whites (for a lighter version)
small block of quality cheese (I used old white cheddar)
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
What To Do
- Chop veggies (you can use whatever you have on hand) and slice sweet potato into thin slices. Set veggies aside for now and arrange potato slices on parchment paper lined baking sheet as you would nachos. Sprinkle them lightly with olive oil. Bake at 375 F for approximately 20 mins depending on thickness.
- While the potatoes are baking, chop bacon and add the veggie mixture to a medium sized fry pan. Sauté for about 10 mins on med heat or until bacon is cooked. Remove and set aside.
- Scramble eggs along with egg whites and lightly fry in the same pan used for cooking veggies and bacon. Do not overcook.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven while arranging the veggies along with the eggs on to the potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Bake again for a couple minutes, enough to melt cheese.
- Remove and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley. Serve with your favourite salsa. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy: Wildheart Fitness & Nutrition