Recipe: Braised Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon
When Chef Jesse Morrisson-Gauthier hosted Swine & Dine at The Common back in January I fell in love with a braised warm cabbage salad with bacon that he served up with sausages. My boyfriend, who strongly dislikes cabbage, even commented on how good it was.
I had hoped the dish would make another appearance on their regular menu, so I was overjoyed when I saw that Chef Jesse was featuring as an appetizer option on his Downtown Dining Week dinner menu. For just $28 you can experience Chef Jesse’s three-course dinner menu at The Common – including this recipe for his braised warm cabbage salad with bacon.
The Downtown Business Association of Edmonton‘s Downtown Dining Week is March 10 – 19, 2017; I strongly recommend you try Chef Jesse’s salad at The Common this week before recreating at home.
Braised Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon
Recipe courtesy ofChef Jesse Morrisson-Gauthier of The Common
What you’ll need…
1 large green cabbage
1/2 white onion
5 oz chopped bacon
1/4 cup butter
3 oz white wine
2 tbsp fresh parsley
2 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp caraway
2 tbsp goat cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt & pepper, to taste
assorted micro greens for garnish
1. Quarter and core cabbage, removing outer leaves.and discard. slice into fine julienne.
2. Slice onion into julienne and combine with cabbage.
3. In a wide-bottom pot add butter, bacon, cabbage and onion and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes or until soft.
4. Add fennel seed, caraway and white wine and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
5. Add goat cheese, whipping cream and parsley and turn off heat allowing ingredients to combine.
Plate onto four warm plates and finish with micro herbs. Enjoy!