Recipe: Bob Blumer’s Pig Candy
Not sure what to bring to your holiday baking cookie exchange this year? Rather than bring a bottle of wine to your next Christmas party host, try switching things up with a sweet and savour treat. This year at Christmas in November at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, celebrity gastronaut Bob Blumer shared a sweet treat that is simple to make, and sure to bring a smile to many a face this holiday season.
Bob Blumer’s Pig Candy
This little piggy went to a party will yield 2-3 cups, about enough to fill a mason jar
6 strips thick-cut smoky bacon
2 cups granulated white sugar
2 tbsp butter, plus extra for greasing the pan
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground chipotle or a pinch of cayenne
1. Grease a cookie sheet with butter, set aside.
2. Cook bacon, any way you want, unit it is super crispy. Pat dry with paper towel. Let cool, then chop as finely as possible (think: dust). Reserve.
3. In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, add sugar. Stir constantly for approximately 4 minutes, or until sugar melts into a light golden liquid. (If lumps develop, remove from heat temporarily and keep stirring. They will melt away). Keep stirring for approximately two more minutes, or until liquid turns the colour of butterscotch.
4. Remove from heat and immediately stir in butter. Then add baking soda and mix thoroughly. Stir in bacon and chipotle. Pour onto cookie sheet and let cool until hard (approximately 15 minutes).
5. Use a mallet or your hands to break into bite size pieces. Store Pig Candy in an airtight jar. Guard with your life.
This treat can be given in a mason jar or look for holiday baking bags if you make enough to share with others.