Recipe: Bacon Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
It’s that time of year again! And I don’t know about you, but I’m already in the mood for some sweet and savoury treats. Bacon can be an excellent addition to a variety of dessert foods so long as your ingredients compliment one another and the bacon flavour isn’t too over powering.
The hazelnut butter in this recipe adds some decent protein and is one of my favourite festive flavours. The bacon gives these cookies a subtle chewiness but I feel it doesn’t impede on the overall balance.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
2 1/2 cups all- purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp baking powder
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp himalayan sea salt
8 strips bacon
8 tbsp butter, room temperature
1 cup hazelnut butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar (or coconut palm sugar)
2 large eggs
1-1/2 tsp vanilla powder (or 2 tsp liquid extract)
2/3 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cayenne pepper, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cook bacon strips in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towel lined plate but reserve about 2 tbsp of the drippings and set aside. Crumble the bacon but do not keep chewy bits.
- Beat the butter and bacon drippings in large bowl with mixer on med-high speed until smooth.
Add hazel nut butter until combined. Next add sugars and continue to beat until creamy, about 4 mins. Beat in eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy, approximately 2 more minutes.
- Slowly add in flour mixture on low setting until combined. Stir in bacon bits and chocolate chips.
- Form dough into loose balls and lightly flatten with fingers.
- Bake until lightly golden for 12- 14 minutes. Do not over bake!
- Transfer to cooling rack but store in airtight container for up to 3 days in refrigerator.
Recipe courtesy of Carrie Mullaly – Wildheart Fitness & Nutrition