Nose to Tail Dinner @ Ousia Restaurant – Porchetta Recipe
Last week I attended a truly magical event. Ousia Restaurant hosted their first Nose to Tail dining event featuring Irving Farms Berkshire Pork. My friend Meryl and I were happily seated with Nicola and Alan Irving for a six-course extravaganza of all things pig at a wonderful Mediterranean fusion restaurant that sources an array of locally grown and produced ingredients.
The $75 six-course meal featured dishes comprised of pork Trotters, Head & Jowl, Leg, Shoulder, Loins & Extras, and Belly created by Chef Michael Seiffert and Ousia’s creative kitchen. Chef Seiffert (who clearly has a passion for pork) shared his recipe for porchetta, which was served to me on an extra special gluten free bun. (Scroll down for recipe)
1st Course – Trotters
2nd Course – Head & Jowl
3rd Course Leg
4th Course – Shoulder
5th Course – Loins & Extras
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michael Seiffert, Ousia Restaurant
1 boneless pork loin with belly attached, skin on
1 cup of salt
1 cup of sugar
10 sprigs of rosemary
2 oranges cut in half
3 lemons cut in half
4 tbsp cracked coriander
4 tbsp cracked pepper corns
2 tbsp cracked juniper berries
75 ml red wine vinegar
1 garlic head cut in half
Top off with water
Glaze for roasting
1/4 cup honey
2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
2 tbsp chili flakes
- Tie the pork as for a roast and brine for 2 days (make sure belly is on the outside of the roll)
- Remove from brine and dry the outside of the pork and let come up to room temperature.
- Pre-heat oven to 300 F. Generously rub the pork with salt and pepper and brush with glaze. Roast at 300 F for 1 1/2 hours – 2 hours basting every half hour, until a thermometer reads 145-155 F.
- Reset oven for 400 F to finish cooking and crisp the skin.
- Once pork is cooked(160-165F) let rest for at least half hour before cutting.
Enjoy with a side of polenta or roast potatoes.
Check out the Nose to Tail dinner at Ousia on the last Monday of each month, or pop into Ousia Restaurant for some of their regular Irving Farms pork dishes.