Chef Paul Shufelt’s Bacon Jam Recipe
This past weekend I sat in despair when I realized I would have to wait another year for Lux Steakhouse and Bar’s annual Bacon Day Dinner. As my taste buds reminisced about the over-indulgent porkfest on the Labour Day weekend, I looked at the photos longingly and realized I needed a bacon fix.
Thankfully Chef Paul Shuflelt of Century Hospitality Group likes to share the love… and his Bacon Jam recipe. At the 4th Annual Bacon Day Dinner, my friends and I chowed down on the bowls of bacon jam at our table. This sweet and sticky sauce was the perfect accompaniment to the porchetta and house-made sausage platters that graced our tables.
recipe courtesy of Chef Paul Shufelt, Executive Chef, Century Hospitality Group
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Makes: about a cup
6 slices bacon, julienned
1 pc. large shallot, julienned
2 tbsp. brown sugar
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- In a pan, sauté the bacon slices over medium high heat, until just starting to brown
- Add the sliced shallots and continue to cook until soft
- Deglaze the pan with the balsamic vinegar, then quickly add the brown sugar
- Allow the brown sugar to dissolve and the liquids to reduce to a light syrup
- Remove from heat, and puree in a food processor until smooth, and refrigerate
As you can see from the photos we slathered this bacon jam all over the porchetta and house-made sausages, but Chef Shufelt also recommends spreading this sweet and savoury spread on a crostinis with some stinky blue cheese, and you’ll never be the same again!