Chef Andrew Cowan’s Porchetta Recipe
On Sunday over 100 people headed to Lacombe County for Taste Alberta’s Farm to Fork event: a self drive adventure to Rock Ridge Dairy, Brown Eggs and Lamb (to visit both lambs and some pigs!), Canadian Rangeland Bison & Elk, BillyCo Junction Gardens, and for a photo in a stunning Canola field.
Following the farm tours, guests arrived at Meridian Beach Hall for a culinary feast from Chef Michael Allemeier (SAIT), Chef Scott Ards (Bistro Saisons), Chef Andrew Cowan (Hundred Bar & Kitchen), Chef JP Pedhirney (Muse Restaurant), and Chef Doreen Prei (Edmonton Petroleum Club) which featured dishes sourced from local ingredients.
Chef Andrew Cowan called dibs on pork and received product from Family Meats Ltd. in Ponoka, and on Sunday farm to forkers were treated to a porchetta sandwich served with pickled cabbage.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Andrew Cowan, Hundred Bar & Kitchen
4 lbs pork belly (with skin)
4 lbs boneless whole pork loin
1 oz each chopped rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil
Salt & pepper to taste
butchers twine (available at butcher or grocery store)
- Blend herbs and oil to make a paste.
- Rub onto flesh side of belly and season with salt and pepper
- Wrap belly around the loin and tie with butchers twine
- Roast in oven at 300 F for 6 hours until the meat on the edge starts to fall apart.
- Rest for 15 minutes before slicing serving on your favourite bun to eat!