Cafe del Sol Recipe: Carnitas
If you haven’t been to Cafe Del Sol on the Northeast side of Edmonton you are missing out on some authentic Mexican food. Owners Mike and Cinthia Wozney are serving up a menu packed with delicious pork bites.
Mike was kind enough to share the traditional slow-roasted carnitas recipe with me; this low and slow recipe is sure to produce a mouth-watering mass of pork to serve on tacos, sandwiches or with rice and beans. Or.. if you don’t feel like cooking head over to Cafe Del Sol for the original and try some home-cooked Mexican food that is sure to heat up your taste buds during this classic Edmonton cold snap.
Cafe Del Sol
6502, 132 Ave
recipe courtesy of Chef Mike Wozney, Cafe Del Sol
- 1 – 4kg pork shoulder (bone in or out)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- 1/2 white onion
- 3 tbsp course salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Rinse off pork and pat dry. Place in a roasting pan that has a tight lid.
- Place all remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until everything has been pureed.
- Pour mixture over pork and rub into meat. Place lid on roasting pan and place in oven.
- Cook at 275 degrees for 3.5 – 4 hours. Meat is done when it shreds and meat and bones falls apart easily.
- Serve with cilantro and guacamole on tacos, tortillas, on nachos, in a sandwich or anyway you love to enjoy slow roasted pork.