Bacon Truffle Cream Corn @ Lux Steakhouse
I was introduced to the Bacon Truffle Cream Corn at Lux Steakhouse & Bar at their Bacon Day fundraiser. While the rest of my table was enjoying the pork schnitzel, bacon mac & cheese, and pigs in a duvet, I was indulging in bowl after bowl of bacon truffle cream corn.
Intended to be a side dish, I managed to pound back three bowls as if it was soup. I love anything truffle flavoured, and this dish is creamy delicious. (Someone at my table actually found an untouched bowl from another table for me). The joy this dish brings me is unmistakable. I stopped in at Lux recently for their 7th birthday party and Chef Matt Phillips added some duck confit in just for fun. A huge thanks to Chef Paul Shufelt for willing to share it.
Lux Steakhouse Bacon Truffle Cream Corn Recipe
4oz Side Bacon Sliced and the julienned
4 fresh Taber Corn – kernels only (3 cups ½ frozen kernel corn)
1 Tbsp Shallots, minced
1 tsp Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Thyme, fresh chopped
1 Tbsp Butter
1/4 cup Stock, chicken or vegetable
1 cup Heavy cream
2 Tbsp Truffle oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, saute the bacon on a medium high heat, until cooked but not crispy.
- Add the minced shallots and garlic and saute until translucent.
- Add the corn and saute. Deglaze quickly with the stock, then allow to reduce.
- Add the heavy cream and simmer until the corn is softened, 7 – 8 minutes.
- Finish the dish with the butter, thyme, truffle oil and seasoning, cook for one minute and serve.
You can puree this mixture with a hand mixer or food processor or leave it coarse. Enjoy as a side with some grilled pork chops, or alone in a bowl if you have a hearty appetite like me.