Apple Bacon Cheddar Clafoutis
While the thick flan-like batter of a clafoutis is traditionally served sweet with fruit and dusted with icing sugar, I wanted to switch things up a bit and serve this baked French dessert with a sweet and savoury bite. Irving Farms Back Bacon was the star of this dish, and I used a sharp cheddar, but I think you could experiment and substitute with your favourite cheese. The apple/bacon/cheddar is a classic combination that works wonderfully in this simple light and airy dish.
3 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup bacon, cooked and sliced
1 apple peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp canola oil
1. Pre-heat oven to 175°C (350°F).
2. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, heavy cream, flour, and whisk until batter is bubbly.
3. Grease a medium sized oven-safe skillet with canola oil.
4. Pour 1 cup of the batter into the skillet and bake for 7 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and carefully the apple, bacon and cheese on top of this layer.
6. Gently pour the remaining batter gently over top.
7. Put back in the oven and bake approximately 45 minutes more. It should be golden and puffy on top. A testing knife should come out clean.
8. Let cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.