3rd Day of Christmas: 3 pounds of pork shoulder from Acme Meat Market
As I continue with an Alberta Pork themed 12 days of Christmas… I just had to bust out the pork shoulder.
That’s right… on the 3rd day of Christmas I shared with my loved ones three pounds of pulled pork!
On Saturday I stopped into Acme Meat Market looking for some inspiration and a succulent looking pork shoulder caught my eye. The butcher helping me on Saturday told me three pounds would be enough to serve six of my hungry friends and so I walked away with a beautiful parcel of pork shoulder which I cooked with pear cider in my slow cooker, pulled, and then topped with some of the CattleBoyz Chipotle Maple Bacon BBQ sauce I scored yesterday on the second day of Christmas.
If you want to make a melt-in-your-mouth pot of pulled pork and are in Edmonton head to Acme Meat Market or your neighbourhood butcher for a beautiful piece of Alberta Pork shoulder. My simple pulled pork recipe is below:
Cider & BBQ Pulled Pork
- 3 lbs Alberta Pork shoulder
- 1 can cider (pear, apple etc.)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon each course salt and pepper to
- 1 cup of BBQ sauce (I used CattleBoyz Chipotle Maple Bacon BBQ Sauce)
- Canola oil
- Season pork shoulder with salt, pepper and garlic. Using a frying pan at medium heat, add canola oil and sear off each side of the pork until browned (1 – 2 minutes each side.)
- In a 5-6 quart slow cooker add cider and pork. Cover and cook on low until meat is very tender and falling apart, approximately 8 hours.
- Transfer pork to a large bowl. Remove and fat from the surface of the cooking liquid and reserve. With two forks, pull meat apart until shredded. Add 1 cup of juices along with BBQ sauce. Add additional juice/sauce as desired. Top on mac & cheese, buns, or eat straight from the bowl like me; enjoy!